PHILIPSBURG, Sint Maarten — The Safe Haven Foundation which offers services and shelter for abused women and their children was started in 1998, however in 1999 the shelter was opened and it is exactly in 1999 the UN General Assembly designated November 25th as the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. The Safe haven Foundation has observed this day in St. Maarten yearly with an event which brings about the awareness of Domestic Violence, namely; The Silent Witness March.
Domestic Violence Awareness Month is formally observed in October as it evolved from the “Day of Unity” held in October 1981 and was conceived by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. The intent was to connect advocates across the nation who were working to end violence against women and their children.
However, as October is observed in St. Maarten as Breast Cancer Awareness month and we are in full solidarity with our sisters in the fight against Breast Cancer. The Safe Haven Foundation has opted to mark November as our month to bring about awareness on domestic violence and to highlight the importance of the elimination of Violence against Women.
We would hereby like to inform the general public of our planned activities.
- Mon-Fri Nov 2-Nov 6th: 3rd World Conference of Women’s shelters 2015 in The Hague, Netherlands
- Sunday 15 November 2015: Kickoff of Our Domestic Violence Awareness Campaign
- Wednesday 25 November 2015: The Silent Witness March
- Thursday 26 November 2015: Panel discussion to bring about awareness on Domestic Violence
- Saturday 28th of November 2015: Women’ Desk hosts “Domestic Violence Event”
- Saturday 28th November 2015: Women’s Inc hosts “V” proceeds will be donated to Safe Haven
- Sunday 29th November: Safe Haven Fundraising Dance at Avantika with the Control Band
The president Ms. Angelique Martis-Romou and the board of Safe haven wishes all a safe and Informative “Domestic Violence Awareness Month” 2015 and informs that you can contact Safe Haven at email: [email protected] and Tel: 9333.