DOMINICA — The police have confirmed a child, from a visiting cruise ship, has died due to the result of a bus accident in Trafalgar at around 11:00 am Thursday.
The child was 16 months old, according to the police. Seven other passengers in the bus, five Italians and two Brazilians, were injured.
The passengers were visitors from cruise ship MSC Ochestra and a statement from the ship they were on a shore visit, which they had independently booked through a third party when the accident occurred.
The ship’s statement said at least four guests were back on the ship by Thursday afternoon.
“Regarding the young boy and his family, his parents are out of harm’s way but still at the hospital,” the statement said. “The entire MSC Cruises family offers its most heartfelt condolences to the parents of the little boy and to his family and their friends.”
Below is a statement released by MSC Orchestra:
“It is with deep sadness that MSC Cruises confirms that a tragic accident involving seven of its guests happened earlier today at approximately 11 AM, local time, in Trafalgar on the Caribbean island of Dominica.
The seven guests involved in the accident were five Italian and two Brazilian nationals. They were on their way to a on shore visit which they had independently booked through a third party.
Immediately after the accident, the guests were transported to the nearby Princess Margaret Hospital and a support team from the ship has since arrived to the hospital to assist them in every way they can.
Simultaneously, MSC Cruises’ crisis team was activated and has already contacted all the families and relatives of the guests involved in the accident.
The guests were all aboard MSC Orchestra which was calling at Roseau, Dominica, for the day.
Since then, we are glad to report that two Italian and two Brazilian nationals are safely either already back on board or on their way. Regarding the young boy and his family, his parents are out of harm’s way but still at the hospital. I am unfortunately not at liberty to disclose the condition of the young boy, since the relevant authorities have yet to make a formal assessment. Having said this, I have also been reading that he has passed and we are led to believe that this is sadly the case.”
Source: 721 news UPDATE: Sixteen-month-old boy dies in Trafalgar accident