NOGENT-SUR-MARNE, France / Saint Martin – A 28-year-old woman died Monday morning, November 7, in a fire at the studio she occupied on Grande General de Gaulle Street in Nogent-sur-Marne.
According to Mayor Jacques J.P. Martin, “She tried to rescue the children.” Detectives are presently investigating, but it is true that the studio was located on the ground floor and the victim was found on the second floor of the staircase of the building. A witness said the woman likely mounted the stairs to access the 2nd level to get to the children.
At 9:20am, firefighters were alerted about this very violent fire. “I was awakened by the smell of smoke,” said Amin, a resident of the first floor, observing the firefighters finish their work. “I heard a lady screaming on the third floor of the building. There was plenty of smoke in the stairwell. I had to act quickly. I helped my girlfriend to go through the window and recover other people.”
“There was a bit of panic,” said a firefighter. “With large ladder, we helped four people out.” The 80 firefighters mobilized to prevent the fire from progressing to other buildings. The origin of the fire is accidental, and was probably the result of a short circuit. Four people were slightly injured.
Some of the tenants were housed next door in the “Bible Institute.” As firefighters battled the fire, traffic was rerouted. Source: leparisien.fr
Some Friends Facebook Post