PHILIPSBURG:— Thirteen political parties have been registered by the Electoral Council. These parties may postulate their list of candidates on August 8, 2016 in order to participate in the upcoming parliamentary elections on September 26, 2016. The references requested by the political parties, which are to be placed above the candidates’ list, have been approved and registered by the Electoral Council.
The registered political parties and their respective references (in bold) are:
– The United People’s Party (UP)
– Social Reform Party (SRP)
– The National Alliance (NA)
– United St. Maarten Party (US Party)
– Concordia Political Alliance (C.P.A.)
– The Democratic Party of Sint Maarten(DP)
– One St. Maarten People Party (O.S.P.P.)
– St. Maarten Development Movement (SDM)
– Millennial Advancement Party (MAP)
– Sint Maarten Christian Party (SMCP)
– Helping Our People Excel Association (HOPE)
– Beyond Sint Maarten Development (Beyond SXM)
– People’s Progressive Alliance Association (P.P.A.)
Some of the thirteen political parties have publicly indicated that they may join another party to contest the upcoming elections. However, to date these parties have not officially informed the Electoral Council of such nor have they submitted a request to unregister their parties.
Source: St. Martin News Network
13 political parties registered by the Electoral Council.