GREAT BAY – Port director Mark Mingo, who was released from custody as a suspect in the Emerald investigation last week Wednesday, will take a leave of absence “allowing him to reunite with his family,” the supervisory board of the harbor group of companies said in a press statement, without indicating how long Mingo will stay away from his job.
The decision about the leave of absence has been taken “in close consultation with the supervisory board.”
The supervisory board will have “subsequent consultations with Mr. Mingo upon his return to address further developments,” the press release stated.
Mingo was arrested on June 7 on suspicions of money laundering, forgery and tax fraud. The prosecutor’s office said last week in a press release that companies had submitted inflated invoices to the port for work that was never done; the port nevertheless paid the invoices. The fraud involves at least $7 million, according to the prosecutor’s office.
This newspaper asked the prosecutor’s office whether the National Detective Agency had revoked the declaration of good behavior Mingo needs to stay in his position. The spokesman for the prosecutor’s office said that he did not know this: “If he requests a new one it will maybe – MAYBE – become an issue. I have no idea.”
The National Detective Agency says on its website that it will revoke declarations of good behavior if it receives information about holders of such documents that warrants such a measure.
In the past, the National Detective Agency refused to issue a declaration of good behavior for Regina Labega, who was at the time director of the airport, but also a suspect in an embezzlement investigation at the Tourist Bureau. While Labega’s court case is still pending, and she has not been convicted, she did not get the declaration and she had to vacate her position at the airport.
Source: TODAY http://today.sx/local-news/mingo-takes-leave-absence/