St. Maarten News – The first off road cycle race of the season, the ASM Mountain Bike Challenge, scheduled for Sunday February 6 is expected to be an opportunity for participants to get in shape for the annual Sunset Mini Triathlon billed for Sunday March 13.
The annual Mini Triple Triathlon which is a fun challenge offers something for everyone, whether you are trying your very first triathlon or are a seasoned athlete. The event consists of three short triathlons with varying starting increments 7 a.m., 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.
Participants have the option to do one, two or all three events, however prizes will only be awarded only to the participants who complete all three races. The event will start with a 250m swim around a rectangular course from Maho Beach.
After arriving at the transition point, they will proceed on a 8.5km ride that will exit from the entrance of the Sunset Beach Bar and turn left passing Maho Beach to the roundabout at Maho, then turn right to the airport, turning at the roundabout with the Pelicans. Head back to the Maho Roundabout. On the third turn at the Pelicans, they will head back to Sunset Beach Bar.
To end the first event, the participants will be required to run from the exit of the Sunset Beach Bar and turn right into Beaconhill. Continue along the road, keeping right until they reach roundabout at the point of Beaconhill. Run around the roundabout and return to the transition at Sunset.
7:00am – 200m Swim, 8.5Km Bike, 2Km Run
8:00am – 2Km Run, 200m Swim, 8.5Km Bike
9:00am – 200m Swim, 2Km Run, 8.5Km Bike
1) Helmets are mandatory during the ride
2) Tops are required for the ride and run portions of the event
3) Numbers must be worn at the front when crossing the finish line. If the time keepers cannot see your number, you may miss out on having a finish time.
4) Drafting is allowed due to the tight, short course
5) Count your own laps on the ride! Our volunteers are not responsible for counting your laps, only noting down your numbers to be sure you have completed the three laps that are required.
6) Smile and have a good time! Any aggressive or disrespectful behavior will result in Susy’s wrath.
Source: Today SXM Sunday March 13: Athletes have ample time to prepare for mini triathlon