Labour Minister Emil Lee
PHILIPSBURG–Authorities have put three of the six construction training courses on hold and will be offering only three courses to the first batch of 112 participants who signed up. Six courses were originally set to be offered: masonry, plumbing, welding, carpentry, electrical, and property maintenance. However, masonry, plumbing and welding are on hold “for now.” Coordinators will focus on carpentry, electrical, and property maintenance, based on interest shown.
Labour Minister Emil Lee said the first cohort for the courses to be offered has closed. The courses will run for six months and classes will be held from 5:00 to 9:00pm Mondays to Fridays. Orientation will start on Monday, August 13.
The “intensive” courses will be held at National Institute for Professional Advancement (NIPA) and are a collaborative effort of Trinidad-based educational institution MIT IT, the Ministry of Public Health, Social Development and Labour VSA, and NIPA. The collaboration for the courses is expected to continue until December 2019.
“Once this course is completed, we will look at what the next set of courses will be,” Lee noted. He is hoping that with the signing of a US $22.5-million grant agreement between Prime Minister Leona Romeo-Marlin and the World Bank earlier this week the courses will be part of the skills training programme.
The grant agreement is following through on the hospitality training programme that began under the former government in December 2017. The grant will support the implementation of a new Social Registry System and finance the emergency income support and training programme to be implemented by St. Maarten Training Foundation (SMTF), Romeo-Marlin had said in a press release issued on Tuesday.
Source: The Daily Herald https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/79407-112-sign-up-for-construction-training-3-courses-on-hold