PHILIPSBURG–The Court hearing involving three armed robberies committed in July 2017, and a 30-year-old suspect, who is currently detained in the Netherlands, was postponed on Wednesday until February 22.
The Prosecutor’s Office is holding suspect J.A.C. responsible for having taken part in three armed robberies committed between July 12 and July 15, 2017.
During the first robbery US $1,012, and several sunglasses, ladies bags and pants were allegedly stolen from clothing store OOPS!
During the robbery the store manager was threatened with a knife, tied up and locked up in a dressing room, which the Prosecutor said, constitutes deprivation of liberty.
“Go down on your hands and knees and take money from the cash register. Do not get up. Stay there for 15 minutes and do not get up. I’m going to watch you from the road to make sure, and if you do, I will send my boys from Fort Willem to you,” he allegedly had told the manager.
On July 15, 2017, Alberto’s Fashion was raided in a similar manner. Under threat of gun violence gold chains, earrings and rings were stolen, and $200 in cash.
In this case, staff was taken to a store room and told to lay on the floor and close the door.
The defendant is also accused of having forcefully taken diamonds and other pieces of jewellery, as well as bottles of Hennessy cognac, from Divinitii Jewellers on July 17, 2017.
J.A.C.’s case will be heard via video-conferencing next month. The rather quick-tempered defendant is no first-offender. He previously was sentenced to 15 years for another crime.
He claimed the Court and lawyers are locking up people for 15, 20 and 30 years, after which they are kicked out on the streets without a house and a job, he stated.
“You are not here to help me,” he repeatedly said during Wednesday’s brief hearing in which he was informed about the postponement of his case.
Source: The Daily Herald https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/73065-armed-robbery-case-to-be-heard-february-22