Appliances and household items that sustained damage in Monday afternoon’s fire at an apartment on Christine Flanders Road in St. Eustatius.
- EUSTATIUS–The bedroom of an apartment on Christine Flanders Road in St. Eustatius was damaged after an air-conditioning unit caught fire on Monday afternoon, August 12.
The St. Eustatius branch of the Caribbean Netherlands Fire Department BKCN was informed of a house fire in the south of Statia. The fire department was quickly dispatched to the address of the apartment and upon arrival on the scene the firefighters discovered smoke coming from the building.
A quick assessment was conducted outside the building, after which entry was made. The fire was quickly contained within the confined area. As a result, the building was saved and deemed liveable after cleaning.
The owner of the residence, identified with the initials C.H., said he had left his home for about 20 minutes when he received a call from someone close to his home informing him that smoke was coming from his house. He raced back to his residence and encountered the fire department on the scene.
He quickly removed the gas cylinder that was connected to a stove and then let the fire department do its work.
C.H. said an air-conditioning unit had caught fire. As a result, his bed was lit and the bedroom sustained fire damage. The residence is shared between two families, but only C.H.’s section was affected by the fire.
Source: The Daily Herald https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/89988-bedroom-damaged-after-air-co-unit-caught-fire