Crowds at Sandy Ground for Aug. Monday Beach Party, boat races


Beach at Sandy Ground on August Monday.

ANGUILLA–The J’ouvert parade finished at Sandy Ground at 11:00am and from that time Sandy Ground beach started to fill with people. All morning, speed boats were coming in to the shore from St. Maarten and other islands, and were anchored two abreast at the northern end of the beach. There was hardly a space to park a car in the village, and the playing field was full of cars, whose passengers opted to use the shuttle provided. Music started at noon at the stage at the northern end of the beach where there were also lots of booths with food and drinks, and masses of people enjoying themselves.

 View from the cliff of boats anchored at north end of Sandy Ground beach.


The boat race was a different story. The 12 Class A boats left the shore at 3:00pm, but soon afterwards the wind picked up and four boats – De Tree, Bluebird Superstar and NWO turned around before reaching the stake as they decided the wind was too strong. Real Deal broke her boom, Speed and Comfort broke down, Light and Peace broke her mast and Satellite sank. So only four boats actually completed the course. UFO came in first, 4G Eagle was second, Sonic third and Viking fourth. Divers went to pull up Satellite and successfully brought her ashore, and there will be plenty of work for the others to do in order to race on Tuesday.

August Monday race start.

  However, the party went on and the artistes continued to perform until late into the night and early morning. Overseas artistes included Teddyson John from St. Lucia, Admiral T from Guadeloupe, Linky First from Jamaica, DJ Stephen from Trinidad & Tobago, DJs Big Ben and Short Kutz from New York, Small Axe Band from St. Kitts and R City from St. Thomas. Local artistes included Session Band, Exodus HD, Infusion XL, Bookie and the Crew, Shea, and DJ Yooshe. Soca, hip hop, calypso, rap and multi-genre were all covered with these top performers, so everyone could enjoy their favourite music.

Source: The Daily Herald