Curaçao reports tenth case, curfew in effect | THE DAILY HERALD


WILLEMSTAD–Curaçao epidemiologist Izzy Gerstenbluth reported that another person tested positive for COVID-19 bringing the country’s total to ten confirmed infections.

One patient died, two are cured and seven remain active. Two have been hospitalised.

The two inconclusive tests that were redone turned out negative. The doctor also indicated that they have monitored 189 people and there are still 33 who must remain in quarantine.

Gerstenbluth said the tenth case is probably an in-island transmission, although he was not sure yet. This would mean that the situation has become more serious, as the virus is harder to limit in case of local infection.

Gerstenbluth had already warned that once there was local transmission there could soon be problems with the medical sector’s care capacity. Therefore, additional measures were needed.

Prime Minister Eugene Rhuggenaath announced a curfew from 9:00pm until 6:00am. All businesses must close their doors at 6:00pm except for pharmacies, minimarkets, supermarkets, restaurants, BBQ stands and gas stations, which close at 7:00pm.

Everyone must then be inside their house at 9:00pm and parties are not allowed. These measures are in effect until further notice.

Minister of Economic Development Giselle Mc William said that she had a meeting with all food importers, which indicated that there is enough stock for at least two months. There is thus no reason to panic, she added.

According to police spokesperson Imro Zwerver, 15 people were stopped on the street during the first day of curfew. Not everyone knew there was one and some had been on their way to work.

Zwerver also indicated that there was one store that had to be closed and people were on the street for no reason. “We acted. We are going to intensify checks on curfew.”

Four youngsters had fled from mandatory drug rehab Brasami. They are already back in custody.

Also, five young people were detained for throwing rocks at police cars.

Source: The Daily Herald