BELAIR–Government has issued an excavation permit and a permit for the construction of a retaining wall to the developers of the Pearl of China project slated for Belair Beachfront.
Finance Minister Richard Gibson Sr. told the press on Wednesday that the project is on track, although a snag needs to be ironed out. He said there are “some conflicts” with the existing planning permit and the variance the Chinese developers want to realise their vision for a 360-room hotel and convention centre and 450 executive apartments.
The Ministry of Public Housing, Spatial Planning, Environment and Infrastructure VROMI is dealing with the permit issue, said Gibson Sr.
The Pearl of China project was announced in early September 2016 and a symbolic ground-breaking was held two weeks later. However, since then there has not been much activity at the site that was once home to Barbaron development.
The issuance of the permits to the development was described by Gibson Sr. as “a start” to the project that he had deemed a game-changer for the country economic-wise.
The project after announced was met with much public outcry and a peaceful protest was held at the site of the ground-breaking. However, since September the fervour has died away.
Source: The Daily Herald https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/64027-excavation-permit-for-pearl-of-china