Garbage collection neglected, Govt. says hiccups soon over

PHILIPSBURG–Garbage collection hit a snag over the weekend and several districts have not seen garbage collectors since Thursday last week. The Daily Herald received numerous phone calls and emails from residents about the lack of garbage collection.

Government issued a statement on Monday, reassuring the public that garbage collection would return to normal in a couple of days.

“The new contracts for the collection of solid waste began on April 1, 2016. Unfortunately, during the transition period the collectors have experienced some hiccups which caused a delay in the collection of garbage in various areas,” it was stated in the release.

“Government has since then, in collaboration with the contractors, taken the necessary actions to alleviate the situation. From henceforth it is expected that garbage collection should run smoothly. If any grievances do occur, contact the garbage haulers for further assistance.”

Garbage collectors for the various districts are:

All Waste in Place NV, tel. 520-5526, Simpson Bay, Beacon Hill and Cupecoy;

Robelto and Sons, tel. 556-3682, Fort Willem, Bush Road, Zagersgut, Coralita Road, Mary’s Fancy, junction L.B. Scott Road/Gladiola Road toward Cay Hill and A.J.C. Brouwer Road towards Cole Bay;

S.M. Green Diamond, tel. 520-8491, Pointe Blanche, Sucker Garden, Pond Island and Madame Estate;

Leonard Enterprises, tel. 520-4226, Cole Bay Hill, Indigo Bay, Cole Bay, Cay Bay, Pelican and areas towards the Simpson Bay bridge;

Garden Boyz NV, tel. 553-7823, Mount William, Middle Region, Defiance, Oyster Pond and Dawn Beach.

Minister of Public Housing, Spatial Planning, Environment and Infrastructure VROMI Angel Meyers told this newspaper Government was working on the issues and the Ministry would have everything back to normal in the coming days.

“It is my understanding that some old contractors had bins placed at several locations on the island. When the time expired last week Friday, I was told some removed their bins, leaving the locations without any bins. Government had to in turn find bins to replace them temporarily,” Meyers said.

This newspaper understands the new contractors also had problems acquiring garbage trucks.

Source: The Daily Herald Garbage collection neglected, Govt. says hiccups soon over

1 COMMENT

  1. How about the remaining bins that were FULL with MOUNTAINS of garbage?

    Poorly planned and executed by both Government (by engaging with contractors who were clearly NOT FIT to get this contract without the proper checks by Government if they were indeed ready) and the contractors who bid on projects way out of their scope!

    I’m sure it has to do with nepotism.

Leave a Reply to Bunch of BS Cancel reply