Gendarmerie opens inquiry into Voyager ferry accident

MARIGOT–The Gendarmerie has opened an investigation into the Voyager 1 ferry accident that occurred Saturday, August 26, Prosecutor Yves Paillard confirmed on Tuesday.

The vessel struck a rock during a spell of bad weather and poor visibility near St. Barths at around 7:20pm but was able to continue into the port of Gustavia. Of the 31 passengers on board, three passengers and one crew member were slightly hurt in the collision but all were released after being examined at the medical facility in St. Barths.
The vessel was returned to Oyster Pond, St. Maarten the next day without passengers and has been taken out of service for repairs.
Paillard in a statement said the preliminary inquiry opened by the Brigade Nautique of the Gendarmerie will look at the navigation systems and check for proper functioning of that equipment.
The Voyager company was able to accommodate almost all passengers that had already booked to go to St. Barts from St. Martin on Sunday, the day after the accident, with other charter boat companies and some took the plane.
The company has temporarily suspended its service to St. Barths as the Voyager 3 is also awaiting parts.
Asked for an update on Tuesday, Voyager Managing Director Jean-Claude Latournerie said the company will issue a press release later this week to update citizens of the situation.

Source: The Daily Herald