UTS shareholder representative Minister of Justice Cornelius de Weever shaking hands with Nicolas Collette at the conclusion of signing. In centre is Finance Minister Perry Geerlings and looking on are UTS CEO Paul de Geus and Finance Ministry staffers.
PHILIPSBURG–St. Maarten’s 12.5 per cent share of United Telecommunications Services (UTS) has been acquired by Liberty Latin America Ltd. (LLA).
LLA announced in a press release that it has completed the acquisition of the remaining shares. In March this year, LLA acquired Curaçao’s 87.5 per cent of UTS and the acquisition of the remaining 12.5 per cent now results in LLA owning 100 per cent of UTS.
The governments of Curaçao and St. Maarten held stakes in UTS of 87.5 per cent and 12.5 per cent, respectively. Cable and Wireless (C&W) Communications is part of LLA and the UTS operation reports to C&W Southern Cluster, which also includes Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago, said LLA Vice President Nicolas Collette.
“This is an exciting moment for telecommunications in the Dutch Caribbean, as following the acquisition of the remaining 12.5 per cent of UTS by LLA, we are now even better positioned to add value for our customers and deliver world-class connectivity and entertainment,” said Collette.
“We are very proud to be operating in the Dutch Caribbean and over the last few months we have been working hard towards establishing new benchmarks for value, service delivery and customer support.”
Collette also said the integration process between LLA and UTS was progressing smoothly.
“We have been working closely together and both brands, Flow and UTS have been sharing best practices in order to realise the full benefits of our newly-combined company. We have also been keeping our stakeholders informed every step of the way and we now look forward to our sustained collaboration as we continue to connect the people of the Dutch Caribbean and create moments that matter for our customers,” he said.
LLA is a leading telecommunications company operating in more than 20 countries across Latin America and the Caribbean under the consumer brands VTR, Flow, Liberty, Más Móvil, BTC and Cabletica, while UTS provides fixed and mobile services to Curaçao, Dutch St. Maarten, French St. Martin, Bonaire, St. Barths, St. Eustatius and Saba.