Renovated building.
WILLEMSTAD--Tensions are rising among small business owners at Curaçao’s “Marshe Nobo” (New Market) in Punda just days before the renovated market is scheduled to reopen. Several vendors are unhappy with new operating requirements and a mandatory rental agreement introduced by “Fundashon Marshe”, which manages the facility and says these changes are necessary to create a safer, more professional and financially sustainable marketplace.
Among the points causing concern are requirements for vendors to wear standardised clothing and purchase uniform signs displaying their business names. They are also being asked to sign new rental agreements that will take effect September 1.
Under these contracts, rents can increase by up to 5%, with higher maintenance and security expenses cited as reasons for the adjustment. Some entrepreneurs have also raised questions about safety and whether all renovation work will be completed before they return to the building.
Interim “Fundashon Marshe” director Remy Ricardo disputed suggestions that vendors had suddenly been confronted with these conditions. According to him, they were informed about the arrangements during a meeting on August 1.
The new operating structure also requires vendors to have no outstanding debts. Smart Aqualectra metres have been installed as part of efforts to prevent new utility arrears from accumulating.
The disagreement comes at the end of a lengthy and considerably more expensive renovation project. “Mashe Nobo” closed in September 2024, when approximately 80 vendors were relocated to temporary facilities around Plasa Wilson “Papa” Godett and other nearby locations in down-town Willemstad. The project was intended to address serious structural deficiencies and modernise the market, including improvements to safety and hygiene.
The work subsequently encountered significant complications. Initially, only eight of the 32 columns supporting the building’s distinctive folded roof were expected to require replacement. Further inspection found concrete deterioration affecting all, forcing a much larger intervention.
The reopening was previously expected in May but was delayed again. Minister of Economic Development MEO Roderick Middelhof said last month that unforeseen work, including replacement of the electrical system, contributed to the delay. The renovation has now cost more than Cg. 5 million, more than Cg. 1 million above the original budget, according to local media reports.
The delays have already caused political concern. In July, Member of Parliament (MP) Sandy Losiabaar asked Middelhof for explanations about the prolonged renovation and the conditions under which vendors had been operating at the temporary location. She also raised concerns about security and possible loss of income among the entrepreneurs.
“Fundashon Marshe” has maintained throughout the renovation that modernisation is necessary not only to repair the ageing building but also to give the market a broader economic role in Punda. The foundation says its objective is to improve safety and hygiene while creating an attractive market capable of drawing both residents and tourists throughout the day.
The latter approach forms part of a wider restructuring of Curaçao’s down-town markets. In April 2025, “Fundashon Marshe” and MEO signed a new management agreement covering 2025
through 2028, with an emphasis on professionalisation, transparency, entrepreneurship and development of the markets as economic, social and cultural centres.
For vendors, however, the immediate issue is what those changes will mean for their individual businesses. The soft opening of the renovated market remains scheduled for August 20. The new rental agreements are due to take effect on September 1.