The Vineyard, one of the country’s remaining monuments, was not spared the wrath of Hurricanes Irma and Maria in September 2017. Its roof still bears the ubiquitous blue tarpaulin.
The house was named from the sea grape trees that once surrounded it. The Von Romandts, the first owners, shipped in the house from Baltimore, Maryland, in 1871. The meaning of the golden star in the centre of the gable is unknown. A twin of the house can be found on Martha’s Vineyard. Coralie Buncamper bought the house in 1938. Her descendent the late Bernadette Buncamper was the last permanent resident of the house.
Source: The Daily Herald https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/74967-monument-under-tarp