MARIGOT–The Collectivité has issued a stern warning to parents and children on the danger of unsupervised or unregulated use of fireworks following an incident on a school bus on Friday, January 6, 2017.
One or more students set off a firecracker or a firework inside a school bus as it was travelling to the Collège in Cul-de-Sac from Marigot. Fortunately no one on the bus was injured. The driver immediately stopped the bus to demand who had let off the firework but no one owned up. The driver then ordered all the students off the bus to make their own way on foot.
Despite the seriousness of the incident the Collectivité deplored the reaction of the driver who it said should have stuck to the rules and delivered the students to their destination.
“This incident could have been much more serious if the firecracker had injured the driver or a passenger,” the Collectivité stated in its release. “The Collectivité asks students using school transport to behave properly for their own safety. From a general point of view, it is essential that each student behave with politeness and respect for staff and school material. Parents must make sure to convey this message to their children.”
The Director of Education has consulted with the Collège Principal and those who were responsible will be identified and punished.
The Collectivité reminds the population that use of fireworks is a regulated activity and discourages anyone from using these products that present a real danger to users and other people nearby when not handled properly.