PHILIPSBURG:— In connection with the upcoming “Lighted Parade” which is organized by Rio Production and scheduled for this upcoming Saturday, April 1st, the police department is announcing the following road closures.
The parade will depart at 08.00 p.m. with the following route: Walter Nisbet road in the vicinity of Beach Plaza Casino – Percy Labega Street – Long Wall Road – Kerkhof Steeg – Front Street – Emma Plein – Welvaart Brug – Buncamper Road – Freedom Fighter Roundabout – Walter Nisbet Road – Salt Pickers Roundabout – Walter Nisbet Road and ends on the Ring Road in the vicinity of the Sports Auditorium.
While the parade is in motion all streets and alleys connected to the route will be closed off to motor vehicle traffic. These streets and alleys will be re-opened for all traffic once the parade has passed by.
All drivers should take keen notice of this information to avoid any unnecessary inconvenience and should take alternative routes to reach their destination.
CARNIVAL SAFETY TIPS 2017
The Police Force of Sint Maarten is without any doubt doing its utmost, to protect you, your family and your property, in combating crime and criminals. The Public Relation Office of the Sint Maarten Police Force is, therefore, offering the entire community, the following safety tips, to help them prepare against crime.
Remember the 3 A’s of Crime Prevention
1. Be Aware of your surroundings at all times.
2. Be Alert to suspicious people and vehicles.
3. Avoid dangerous situations.
If you are out for the evening:
– Turn on lights, radio or television so that it looks like someone is at home.
– Lock all doors and windows well, even if you are just leaving for a few minutes.
– Don’t display items where they can be seen from the outside.
– Park your car in a well-lit area and make sure all windows and doors are
– Avoid carrying a large amount of cash. Don’t flash cash around and carry it in a safe place on you.
– If you have to use the ATM-machine, pay close attention to suspicious persons hanging around the machine. If that’s the case pass up that machine and find another.
– Carry all wallets in the front pockets and carry purses close to your body.
– Keep your children close to you while attending any activities and don’t let them get separated from you.
– Pay attention to persons walking in front and behind you. (Especially in crowded places favorable for pickpockets)
– When returning to your vehicle or your home, have your keys in your hands ready to open the door.
– Before entering your vehicle, check front and rear and seats for anyone that may be hiding there. Lock doors immediately after entering.
– Ask your neighbor to keep a watchful eye out for you.
– Drinking and driving is a danger to everyone. Remember that the risks of
drinking and driving are not worth it. If you choose to drink, don’t drive.
Make use of a designated driver or public transportation. (Taxi or bus)
Make sure that you know where your kids are at all times and that they
Most of all on behalf of the Police force of Sint Maarten, through the Public Relation Office, “We wish the entire community of Sint Maarten and its visitors a very safe and meaningful Carnival Season 2017.”
Source: St. Martin News Network
Road closures for Lightening Parade.